Who doesn’t love stuffing?
It used to be my favorite, until I discovered what was in it (white, overly processed white bread, not chicken stock, sausage…)
This year I wanted to make a stuffing that was both health-friendly and tasted like a home-style comfort food.
I adapted this recipe from With Style and Grace and it turned out to be such a winner that I don’t think it can be confined to only Thanksgiving.
This is a dish that you can enjoy at anytime during the year.
Even my Italian Grandfather was a fan!
What you will need:
- 2 Cups of Quinoa
- 3 Cups of Vegetable Broth
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Package of Field Roast Apple Sage Vegan Sausage (or meat replacement of choice)
- Sea Salt
- Coconut Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
What you will do:
- In a sauce pan bring the veggie broth and quinoa to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Stir and fluff with a fork periodically until all liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking set the oven to 375 and cut your sweet potatoes into cubes. Toss with coconut oil (preferably unrefined and organic) and sea salt then place on a baking sheet. Cook until you can easily pierce with a fork.
- Chop the red onion and place in a small sauce pan with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat. Stir frequently until the onions become soft and slightly brown. Then add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and stir until it is mostly evaporated.
- Break apart the “sausage” links and cook in a saute pan until they are hot and brown around the edges.
- Carefully fold the sausage, onion, sweet potatoes, cranberries and walnuts into the quinoa.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
- Optional Tip: Add a dash or two of cinnamon to give it a seasonal touch.
This recipe makes quite a bit of stuffing, but like all the other Thanksgiving favorites you won’t mind going back for seconds, thirds and possible fourths!
With Love and Year-Round Thanksgiving,
Like what you’re reading?
Receive posts like this in your inbox for FREE!